Beach lifeguard qualification
Surf Life Saving GB - Beach Lifeguard Qualification
40 contact teaching hours plus assessment
This is an internationally recognised qualification and will enable the successful candidate to gain employment on a Lifeguarded beach.
The beach lifeguard qualification is the entry level ocean rescue qualification, setting you on the path toward a surf lifeguard and Patrol Captain.
The Beach Lifeguard Qualification will provide the learner with knowledge, understanding and physical skills of:
- beach and ocean lifeguard theory
- cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
- extended airway skills
- first aid
- open water skills
- rescue fitness
The course is physically demanding and will include swimming to set times/distances and casualty lifting.
This qualification comprised of a variety of units and all must be successfully passed.
- Beach Environment
- Beach Patrolling
- Working Practices
- Basic Life Support
- First Aid
- Pool Based Practical
- Tube Rescuer
- Ocean Board Rescuer
- Be able to swim a measured distance of 200 metres in a pool of recommended length 25 metres, minimum 20 metres, within 5 minutes.
- On enrolment the candidate must be able to demonstrate, to the satisfaction of the Trainer, that by the end of the course they will be capable of achieving a swim time of 400m in under 7.5 minutes.
- Be 16yrs of age or older.
24 months from assessment, then 12 month annual proficiency (as long as validity has not lapsed)
Minimum Guided Learning Hours
40hrs plus an additional assessment day